Skip to main content

Self Through Art, Ethan's Introduction

Summer Evening Edward Hopper

    My name is Ethan Swanson (He/Him) and I'm a second year Film Studies and Art History double major. I work primarily in experimental film but I'm currently writing a screenplay because I want to make some narrative short films. Eventually, I'd like to be a director and make feature length movies.


Summer Evening, Edward Hopper, 1947

    I tend to like art that is on the darker side of things, so lately I've been really interested in Edward Hopper. There is something melancholic/pessimistic about his version of Americana that I really like. This particular painting really effects me because the people in it seem to be trapped in a conversation even though the background is so open and undefined. I also think about this piece a lot because I envy how well he uses light here (there's not a great image of this painting online so I'd recommend looking at a print, the colors are a little off here), and I hope to be able to have lighting that good in my films someday. 


Riding with Death, 1988 - Jean-Michel Basquiat

Riding With Death, Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1988

    I love this Basquiat painting because of the tension that there seems to be between figurative and abstraction. 


End of the Road: Jim Jarmusch on His Johnny Depp-Starring Western Death  Trip, Dead Man | Filmmaker Magazine

Dead Man, Directed by Jim Jarmusch, 1995 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAZPdmo7LVA 


    Dead Man is one of my favorite films because both its plot and score achieve a certain removal from reality and abstraction that I love. I love art that you can't figure out and is ultimately unknowable. I don't think film does this as much as other mediums, so Dead Man is very special. 


Boogie Nights – [FILMGRAB]

Boogie Nights, Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku633lZIkZc


    I also consider myself a very emotional person who feels things strongly. And I think Boogie Nights is incredible in the way that it portrays family (found family in this case) and how messed up but loving it can be. And as much as I love other art, nothing gets to me quite as much as an incredibly emotional film. I also look back at this film a lot when I'm thinking about how to set up scenes and what can be done with a camera, it has so many different ideas going on at once that its a great well to draw from. 


"Any Understanding of social and cultural change is impossible without a knowledge of the way media work as environments."

    This quote is very interesting to me because it shows how completely modern media shapes our environments. In order to understand any culture, you must understand its media, and what influences that has on their people. His use of the word 'environment' is also really interesting, he is implying that media has some sort of physical presence in the world. That it is so pervasive that we live in it, not with it. This quote rings true because my life has definitely been shaped significantly by what I have watched and read, my outlook on the world would be completely different without it. 

Comments

  1. I appreciate your perspective and tastes, I have similar feelings. I will definitely be checking out some of the works you mentioned, because they sound right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basquiat is really a mind of a kind! I like what you say about movies that are "unknowable." I think it's really important for me for films to remain sort of spontaneous to the viewer, in a way that challenges, or at least plays, their emotions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Flickr Findings

  My Flickr Blume No. 2 "Something is happening here and you don't know what it is, do you, Mister Jones?" (Bob Dylan, 1965)          I just took this quote on a very literal level instead of its total meaning. I like the idea of something that is happening that is under everyones radar, so that's what I tried to do with the abstraction in the photos. I like making people see things in a way that they can't with their naked eye.      I took all these photos on a walk in the evening this past weekend. I focused mostly on making more abstract pictures because that is what I generally like to do in my art. To support that I manipulated them quite a bit in photoshop. I had a lot of fun in messing in the 'Curves' menu, I found that was a really good way to mess with them (especially in black and white). Overall I think that most of my photos are  successful, about 16 of them I'm happy with. There were some I included to just reach the 20 photos. I am intere

Representative Activism

Justice MMIWG, Valaria Tatera, 2019-2021     I found Valaria Tatera's talk incredibly moving and informative. I had absolutely no idea Enbridge pipeline 5 existed or that Wisconsin even had residential schools. I think growing up in Wisconsin gave me the impression that most of the injustices meted out against native peoples were in other places, it was worrying to find out the same happened here. Although sadly it's not that surprising.      My complete ignorance on the topic shows just how deficient the school system is in the US, where the majority population can just choose to leave out the more unpleasant parts of history that make them look bad. This is why Tatera's art is so necessary, not only is it a healing process for herself, which would be important enough by itself, it makes people focus on what  they'd rather ignore.   "Whence did the wond'rous mystic art arise, of painting SPEECH and speaking to the eyes? That we by tracing magic lines are taugh

Picnic Projections

      I really loved making our installation piece. The freedom we had to do whatever was so liberating. I was so impressed with how we had a bunch of different themes emerge from all the random stuff we brought, and how the piece felt pretty cohesive overall. The piece to me has a feeling of a picnic gone wrong. The front half especially is full of such vibrant colors and flowers, feeling inviting at first glance. Then as you look at it longer and read the writing on the walls, it feels a little more ominous. The back on the other hand takes this aggression further, with the book on the wall yelling at you along with all the 'Not for Sale" signs. It felt very current to make something that also seemed to be commenting on the environment. All the greens in the room and the flowers coming out of the trash definitely added to that, along with the fact that the possible consumerism of our 'store' was aborted by the 'Not For Sale' signs. I think it would be interes